Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Age of Kali -- Book Review

If 'The Great Indian Novel' showed me how little I know about my country's history, 'The Age Of Kali' showed me how little I know about my country and its demographics. The cultural beauty of Madurai, the bloodthirsty Goddess Parasakthi of Kerala, the rampant culture of violence in Lucknow, the sorrow of Vrindavan, the decadence of Bihar, the foray into politics of Imran Khan, the guerilla warfare of the LTTE's are brought right infront of our eyes with a clarity that is striking as well as disturbing.

People could easily dismiss this book as yet another travelogue but what makes this book a MUST read is the intertwining of history with a beautiful & lucid narration. Dalrymple is not yet another english traveller who travels through this great country of ours narrating what he sees. He is an observer as well as a knowledge seeker. He does his homework really well & backs up his narration of incidents with some great historical perspectives. He explains away the 'almost' lazy nature of the Hyderabad people to the wealth that oozed out from the great treasures of the Nawabs who ruled their lands for a long time. He dismisses the perceived arrogance of the Pathans of the North eastern frontier to the constant attacks that they had to endure & repulse from various conquerors.

The other thing that is so striking about this book is the almost non-chalant way of his interviews with the people concerned. Be it the measured questions that he poses to the female wing leaders of the LTTE or the satirical questions to Laloo Prasad Yadav, the earnestness of his questions filter through all of them. More than the interviews with the popular personalities, it is his interviews with the common man that he meets in these various places that add a lot of value & spiciness to the essays.

I rate books not on their literary value but based on whether the particular book made me think. Opening up new thought avenues over which my mind could float around is one of the essential characteristics that I look for in a book. Being a person brought up in a calm city like Chennai, the culture of violence that is prevalent in Patna & abject decadence of Lucknow were shocking. It is not that I was not aware of these situations but the stark naked reality when portrayed in a telling way left a lasting impression. Last but not the least, one of the major changes that this book has brought about is the way in which I would be looking at places to which I would be travelling in the future. Instead of looking at these places from the perspective of a photographer, I will be looking at these places with reference & reverence to their history & background. Due to this increased perspective, I am very confident that the world around me would brighten up in a light that my human lenses have failed to capture till now .

Bottom Line: Any person who is interested in travel should read this book. And the others, I dont think you will regret the time spent reading this book.

No comments: