Saturday, January 06, 2007

Ganguly Revisited

Ohh well............ Eating my own words is not something that I really fancy doing but I am left with no other choice. With Ganguly turning out to be the 'Highest' run getter and proving his worth (On his commitment, the jury is still out), I am forced to take back my previous comments on his inclusion to the test side.


The debate would invariably now start on having Ganguly for the one-dayers & especially for the world cup. At the risk of having to eat my own words at a later point of time, I do not want him in the side. Assuming that Yuvraj singh would be back in the squad & Kaif also 'Re-discovering' his form soon, I am not able to fit Ganguly in the scheme of things for the world cup & beyond.

I have one another reason for not having him in the side for the world cup. It is the rather sad fact that India doesn't have a realistic chance of winning the coveted trophy this time around. I would be happily surprised if we even make it to the semifinals. Having said that, it would be wise on the part of the selectors to start grooming the side for the future. With the future world cup's in mind, the selectors can start picking up people who can make use of this world cup as a learning experience.

2 comments:

Ashok said...

Well Well Well ! Ganguly did put up a decent show for sure with all the batting going on shambles. Kaif "re-dsicovering" his form is something that I do not want to happen in International game. I hope they do not take Sehwag and Kaif because they have been given Zillion Chances and they still sleep happily tucked in with their 7 year back centuries and half centuries. The display of India has made myself not to watch them play. I would be watching World Cup for the love of the game and if India could add on to it, I will be satisfied.

lmurali said...

If Yuvraj is able to make it to the world cup, then Saurav's middle chance is definitely not on. But, if India decides to leave out Sehwag, I would prefer Saurav to open with Sachin in the world cup than Jaffer or Gambhir.