Saturday, December 23, 2006

Ilaiyaraaja's new album

(Photo courtesy: Boxmusiq.com)

I stopped expecting any great film albums from Ilaiyaraaja a few years back itself. His latest film albums tended to be a poor rework/rehash of his yesteryear hits & I didn't want to waste my time listening to them. His non-filmy albums like Thiruvaasagam are the ones for which I always look forward to. I found out today that a new non-filmy album called "The music messiah" might hit the market soon. Am eagerly looking forward to it as the names of the songs listed look very promising. There are samples of songs available at this site. The review of these initial samples from IR fanatics is that it sounds to be an extension of the BGM's that was done for the Malayalam movie 'Guru'. (If you are an IR fan and have not listened to the songs from this album, you are surely missing something). I have not listened to the BGM's of this movie & so I am sure that it would be something new to hear & rave about. The expected date of release is 07/Jan/2007. Am eagerly waiting to grab this album.

3 comments:

sampath said...

I have tons of respect to Ilayaraja and I'm his ardent fan. Now... having established that I have to confess that I did not get his work in "Thiruvasagam" I was one who got the initial copies and the sadest thing is I cannot wait for it to finish the first time.

So does it require a specific carnatic / western music knowledge or is it just me? I was seriously hoping him to compose sth like "Kunitha puruvamum..." so that I can sing along :(

Howard Roark said...

Sampy,
I don't have western or carnatic music knowledge to boast of, either. But somehow, I was blown away by the orchestration in "Thiruvasagam". The first thought/emotion that I got on hearing "Polla Vinayen" song was that I am lucky to be born in the era of Illayaraaja.

The other point that I wanted to make is that my likes/dislikes do not 'usually' depend on the popular opinion. I 'think' that I have a faculty called brain to make decisions on my own & decide based on what it feeds me with. (Due to this, there is more than 50% chance that I am wrong :-) )

sampath said...

Well... then I shall assume its just my faculty! :) I do not belong to this cult anyhoo...